[CH] New Year recipes

Andie Paysinger (asenji@earthlink.net)
Fri, 02 Jan 1998 14:54:59 -0800

You wrote --
Subject: [CH] New Year's Recipe...

>Happy New Year, fellow CH's!!!  i have a quick question and any input
would be greatly appreciated, as usual.  does anyone know of any
traditional spicy dishes that are prepared for the incoming of a new
year?  there is always the boring lentil soup that i can throw a chopped

up habanero in but, i'd like to go a different route this year.

------------------------------
Too bad I didn't see this till afternoon today 1/1/98
When I was growing up in Kentucky  we always had "Hoppin John" on New
Years Day.
Black Eye peas(beans), rice, cooked bacon, with hot red peppers.
You soak the beans overnight.     1 cup beans for 1/2 cup rice (regular
rice - use more if it is the converted stuff that doesn't double in
volumn)
Early in the day cook the bacon crisp, crumble it and set aside.
Sauté the rice in the bacon drippings till translucent - stir in red
pepper flakes (or whatever hot stuff you prefer - this is a flexible
recipe)
Add the beans including the liquid they were soaked in add salt to taste
-    Put a shiny new dime in the mix then - put in a crock or bean pot
and cook in a slow oven 225 - 250 for 2 hours - longer if you make a
bigger batch.
whoever gets the dime is supposed to have a lot of luck in the new year.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be