Re: [CH] Hello!

L Anderson (lowella@serv.net)
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 21:54:27 -0800

Linda and Jeff wrote:

> Hi All,
> We've just joined the list and are looking for some chiles that will grow
> well in part shade.  I've had success with jalapeno's in my garden, but am
> ready for some hotter additions.  Any recommendations?  Also we are looking
> for some "popper" recipes.
> Thanks!
> Linda

Hi Linda,

I was given some pepper seeds from a gentleman from Mexico who claimed
they were very hot although he didn't know what they were.  The seeds
were black and I thought they were moldy, but planted them anyway last
March.  When more than two dozen plants sprouted  from the seeds, I did
a little research and concluded they were probably capsicum pibescens
(sp) aka rocoto or apple pepper, proportedly from Peru.  Although it's
January here in Seattle, I still have 20 plants growing in my garden,
abiet under clouches at this time--all my other pepper varieties are
pretty much history.  What I discovered is they don't like it too hot.
The ones that were in partial shade did the best while the ones that got
the most sun grew even slower and always looked stressed.  My conclusion
is, they like it a bit cooler as I believe they are native of the higher
elevations in Peru.  (Anyone correct me if I got this wrong.)

So, to make a long story short, try some rocotos--a really pretty plant
that grows slowly and tends to sprawl--my biggest ones are now 3-4 feet
high and wide.  I have yet to try the peppers since, believe it or not,
they are still growing.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson
Seattle, WA