Re: [CH] Ristra peppers

David Wright (dtwright@texas.net)
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:31:46 -0600 (CST)

At 07:24 AM 1/10/98 +0000, you wrote:

>How can I go about using these peppers?  I don't think they were
>varnished or coated in any way and I sampled a small piece and found
>them hot! I guess that I could always grind them for hot pepper
>flakes but wondered if they have other uses.
>
>Dave "throws with mosquitos" Hendricks

Dave,

Here's my favorite way to use them:

-- Break off the stems and shake out some-to-all of the seeds.
-- Roast them in a hot oven til you can smell them (not very long -- don't
go away).
-- Cover them with boiling water to let them soften. They will float to the
top,    so cover them with a plate to keep them under.
-- Puree the chiles in a blender or processor, using a cup of so of the
soaking    water. Before pureeing you can add some garlic, minced onion,
comino or other    spices, or wait till later.

You can use this red chile as a sauce for enchiladas, chiles rellenos, or
anything else that uses a sauce. Also, it makes a great chile for chile con
carne or for marinating pork or turkey. I like to mix the types of chiles
when I make this -- Chiles de ristra, chipotes, anchos -- anything I have
on hand at the time.

HTH,
David