[CH] Heat factor

Judy Howle (howle@ebicom.net)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:56:28 -0600

AJeff wrote:
>Just got a short newspaper clipping from my grandmother.  No idea as to
>source.
>
>(Paraphrased)
>Air temperature is partly responsible for how hot chile peppers are. Peppers
>grown at temps between 86 and 95 degrees Farenheit contain 2 times the
>capsaicin as those grown between 59 and 72.
>
>Thought you might be interested.
>
>Jeff
>IEatChiles@aol.com
>Pepperman@sizzling.com

I noticed one summer when it was close to 100 for weeks that my supposedly
mild New Mexicans got really hot.  I roasted and pureed a lot of red ones
and it was about as hot as tabasco sauce, to me.  I couldn't use it to make
enchilada sauce because it was too hot.  I made some hot sauce instead!
Peppers grown from the same seeds in other years were not very hot, altho I
never made puree again, just used them green.

Judy Howle
howle@ebicom.net

Flavors of the South
Recipes for "heat lovers"