Re: [CH] Chef Paul at Borders

Jim Thomas (jmthomas@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:03:53 +0000

Inagaddadavida wrote:

> Suffice it to say that you typically can't go wrong with ole Chef
> Paul, IMO. The recipes often look overwhelming (usu. in part to his
> typically long list of spices to be added...and his belief in adding
> veggies in stages rather than all at once, but there's good reason for
> this..), but my experience (well, okay, so I cook for a living and may
> be more willing to spend a whole lotta time on a recipe..) shows that
> the recipes are usu. worth the time and trouble.

I gotta go along with you on this one Rael. I've had good luck with most of
his recipes from all of his cookbooks except Fork in the Road. (Low fat
cookery from someone with Chef Paul's profile isn't entirely convincing.)
If the list of spices is too daunting you can always use Paul's premixed
spices then jazz it up from there. I find they make a pretty good spice base
and you can order them from the Chef in 1 lb cans which are a lot better
than those little things they sell in the supermarket.

Anyway, I've had the good fortune to be able to watch his line chefs cook for
a fair amount of time and really learned a lot just from seeing the way they
do their stuff. It's inspiring.

Jim