Re: [CH] Homemade chipotles?

David Wright (dtwright@texas.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:22:47 -0600 (CST)

At 11:43 AM 1/26/98 -0600, Jeff wrote:
>I think the canned Chipotles in Abodo sauce are part of
>the problem.  I can't find them plain, or freshly smoked anywhere --
>even in Mexican markets.  (I'm in Houston.)

Jeff,

I'm in San Antonio and I find dry chipotles, and a plethora of other chiles
--fresh and dried -- in the produce sections of several local HEBs. Get
after the produce manager if you can't find them at HEB in Houston. If that
doesn't work, get after me! We'll work out a way for me to send you some. I
can't let a fellow CH go without chipotes when we're only a few miles apart.

>I'm also wondering if I would get better results with fresh
>(Roma?) tomatoes.

I'd say yes ... fresh ingredients are always closer to the original recipe.

>One last thing -- What is a generic "green chile" that appears on a
>recipe label?  Which chile would that be if it were fresh?

During the summer I'd suggest getting some New Mexico green chiles (my
local Albertsons has them in bags-full from Hatch). Otherwise, I'd say to
use Poblanos, after you've roasted and peeled them. Lacking that, look for
canned Hatch brand green chiles. (Bueno would be better, but they're not
likely to be found this far east of New Mexico.)

>I plan on canning this stuff once I get it right.  :-)

I say Gofer It!

>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff