Re: [CH] Thai's vs. Habs

John Lilly (John.C.Lilly-1@ou.edu)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:14:56 -0600

Kevin Crooks wrote:

> Has anyone read this months' issue of Organic Gardening?  There is  a CH
> article.  In a sidebar a guy named Craig Dremann claims that Southeast
> Asian peppers are usually twice as hot as habs.  His testing method
> involves blending a weighed amount of peppers, deseeded in a weighed amount
> of water.  Using the syringe add the mixture drop by drop into a weighed
> amount of tomato juice unitl you can detect the hotness of the pepper.  He
> calls this the "hotness threshold".   Claims that because habs have few
> seeds, and most test methods includes the seeds, the hab gets an advantage.

His claim about habs having the test advantage due to lack of seeds
doesn't
make sense to me.  I had always heard that most of the heat was in the
seeds,
veins, and placenta.  I am surprized that he used water in his test.  I
wouldn't
think that the capsaicins(sp?) would be very soluble in water.  Also,
the
solubility would vary depending on the capsaicin.  IMO, some form of
alcohol
would be better.

>   Questions?  Comments? Flames?  Is this guy full of it or does he have a
> point.  IMHO the hab is still hotter.  The burn is more complex.  I find
> most Asian hot peppers to be sharper.  Bottom line, I don't get the
> endorphin rush with Thai hots that I get with Habs.

I think he is full of it.  As a chemist, I will stick by the Scoville
ratings.
The results seem a lot less subjective.  In any case I would invite
Craig Dremann
to try the REAL test.  Take a BIG bite of each type of pepper and then
decide which one is the hottest. ;)

In El Grande's Service
John Lilly