[CH] Re: we have germination!, Philly Hots

Allen L Marshall (crataegus@yhc.edu)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:17:59 -0500

>Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:00:51 -0500
>From: Suzanne <suz@avana.net>
>Subject: [CH] we have germination!
>Second - I have germination starting for this years peppers!  Most are a
>bit slow, but the seeds I dried out of a scotch bonnet from the grocery are
>going gangbusters, and some of the purples that Blue so graciously sent me
>from Hawaii (thank you again!) are up.  The packaged seeds are slower, but
>the seeds are two years old - only one serrano peeking its head up so far.
>Okay so maybe my life it scary sometimes, but I am way psyched to watch my
>garden forming (in my den, but forming nonetheless).  The tomatoes,
>tomatillos and basil have already been transplanted once!  yay....

And here I thought I was the only lunatic to start seedlings the first week
of January.  My habs and cayennes (2 year old seeds, but they are treated)
are just peaking up from their soil.  My open-pollinated jalape~nos have
been up for more than a week.  My Thais have been up for 6 days.  The red
habaneros are just sending out taproots.  My tomatoes (Hillbillies, not for
salsa) and my tomatillos have been up for two weeks now, and my epazote,
which I thought was inviable, has sprouted.  Of course, I'm still waiting
for the seeds I ordered from Totally Tomatoes to arrive.  (No, I don't have
a huge garden.  Some of these plants will be given away, and I'll be
selling seedlings to help cover the cost of the seeds.)

>One question - do peppers lose some of their heat after being frozen?

In my limited experience, no.  If you feel your peppers aren't hot enough
once they've been frozen, try pan frying or pan roasting them lightly
before adding them to the dish.  Also, look for veiny fruit.  Some of the
habaneros that I froze last summer were pathetically weak, even after
heating them by the above method.  They had a nice, typically hab flavor
but virtually no heat.  They also had no virtually no veins.  Jalape~nos
harvested at the same time were very veiny and had a nice lasting heat.
Last summer was a dismal season for solanaceae in this area.  I wish I knew
how to coerce chiles into producing veiny fruit.  I suppose that's more a
gene thing rather than an environmental one.

>From: "Dave Hendricks" <bvdrangs@enter.net>
>Subject: [CH] Philly and sauces

I figure some of you may be wondering about the spice shop mentioned by
Dave in this post (v4#273).  It's called the Spice Corner.  They're in the
directory, and the street # is 904 South 9th street/Philadelphia, PA 19147.
(Or, at least, that was the address when I took this card from there.)
This was the place that first sold me Dave's Insanity.  Oh, how I laughed
when Marie told me to be careful with it.  I still remember wanting to
vomit when I tried it mixed into sour cream.

--
<mailto:crataegus@yhc.edu>
Allen Marshall