[CH] Re: Chile Business Stuff

Judith Stone (madpepco@gte.net)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:28:31 -0500

Thanks for asking!  Yes, an occupational license is the same as a business
license.  You have to apply for it in the city in which you are doing
business.  We applied at our city hall.  The code violations inspector will
check your building to see if there are any violations and then the fire
department will check your building and issue you a permit to do business.
If you are going to grow and sell produce in any form (hot sauces, etc.) you
will have to have an agricultural license.  You must apply for one from your
state agricultural department.  They too will come to your location and
inspect.  Both the business and agricultural licenses cost money.  They
renew yearly and cost money.  You are subject to surprise visits at any time
to inspect.

When you apply for your occupational license, if you are in the food or
restaurant business, the health dept. will have to approve your kitchen and
handling of food.  No cost but surprise visits every 6 months.

On finding an approved kitchen...that's the tricky one.  You must find a
place that has a kitchen already installed i.e. an restaurant no longer in
business or jump through numerous hoops to install a kitchen.  You must have
a fire hood, around $5000 and install all kinds of safety equipment not to
mention your cooking equipment.

I don't know if there are any special dispensations for farms or not.  I
just know from our knowledge of opening the cafe eight years ago and
starting the hot sauce business over a year ago, this is what we had to do
in the state of  Florida.  Best thing to do is contact the agricultural
department in your state, and they will send you out all the info you need.

If I can be of any help lining you up with suppliers, bottles, labels, etc.
please let me know.
'
Judith