Re: [CH] Cutting peppers and washing hands

Harry Jiles (harryo@dave-world.net)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:32:22 +0000

> From:          Anton Schoenbacher <aschoenb@eecs.wsu.edu>
> Subject:       [CH] Cutting peppers and washing hands
> Date:          Fri, 30 Jan 1998 8:22:59 PST

> O.K, here is a theory of mine, let me know if this makes
> any sense.
>
> Lets say I cut a bunch of peppers and rub my hands all
> over them, then I go to wash my hands.  If I wash my hands
> in warm or hot water isn't there a good chance that my
> poors will open and trap some 'hot stuff' in there ?
>
> on the other hand if I wash my hands in cold water first,
> I can get rid of most of the 'hot stuff' before, then wash
> my hands in hot water later.

Nope, it doesn't work like that.  The 'hot stuff', as you call it, is
oil based, so it will be absorbed into the skin of your hands before
you wash them.  In my experience, hot soapy water works the best, but
it will not completely remove the residues from your hands.  Wear
rubber gloves.

Harry