Re: [CH] Thai's vs. Habs

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:02:53 +1100

At 2:40 AM +1100 29-1-98, Jim Campbell wrote:
>I think like Rael pointed out, a lot depends on where you perceive your
>heat.
>I had a friend laugh at my Red Savinas yet nearly die from my Thais while
>the reverse was true for me & most everyone else.  There is a distinct
>difference where the burn occurs with different peppers.  On a more jaded
>note though, you might note that this guy uses his own invented heat units,
>and the seeds are coincidentally sold by their company.  Go figure.
>According to my own Heat Testing Methods, my own brand of Peppers scored
>three times hotter than habs and can only be bought from me.  Yeah, right.
>I have yet to see the claim backed up by independent methods.
>
>-Jim C
>MWPH
"backed up by independent methods"
such as?
 I have arranged for some analysis of 6 or so peppers for capacacin levels
 at Southern Cross University
Is there any point?
Will it solve any arguments?
Which six need to be tested? Any suggestions anyone?
They can only test for one alkaloid-= capsacacin - none of the others
(because they are not available in pure form and thus machine can't be
calibrated)
There seem to be so many heat variables apart from the actual genetics and
alkaloid levels of the plant.

Michael Bailes,  The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ) Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
1998 Chilli Festival 8/9 March.
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/chili/festival1998.html