Re: [CH] Another medicinal use of chiles

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:43:39 +1100

At 2:10 AM +1100 28-1-98, Curt Snyder, Hot's Desire wrote:
>This is a piece of an article from "BioWorld Today", a faxed newsletter
>that discusses biotechnology issues. The article was titled"Purified
>Essence of African Cactus Begins Phase II Clinical Trials to Curb Urinary
>Leakage".
>
>"Many urologists have instilled capsaicin by catheter (a common doctor's
>office procedure) into the overactive bladders of patients with urge
>incontinence. Its therapeutic effects were acceptable, it's die effects
>unacceptable.
>
>'RTX exposure to the bladder for a 30-minute period,' Agersborg recounted,
>'desensitizes hyperirritable afferent neurons in the bladder for extended
>periods. In patients with urge incontinence,' he continued, 'this activity
>blocks the premature bladder contractions, which cause an unpredictable
>loss of urine'."
>
>----
>There were no indications of what the unacceptable side effects were, I'm
>not sure I really want to know. Then again, I'm not sure any of you wanted
>to know about this other use for capsaicin.

A friend urologist says its urinary urgency not Urinary
>Leakage as above
Spinal anesthetic is also needed.

Michael Bailes,  The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ) Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
1998 Chilli Festival 8/9 March.
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/chili/festival1998.html