[CH] Aphids

Gerardo Ametxazurra (ametxa@arrakis.es)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:29:21 +0200

I'm no chemical engineer, so I can't give an
accurate answer. Also,
English not being my native language,
I guess my technical approximations could be quite
messy. But...
I guess the plant must metabolize (as we all living
entities do)
whatever it eats, so it must transform
nicotine into whatever kills or repels aphids.
Actually, I've never eaten
my roses, so I don't know if
they taste horrible or if they are poisonous. One
thing I know is that
when I have aphids on my Chile
plants (and that will be in the future, not having
any right now!), I'll
water them with the tobacco
liquid, and then I'll see.
Anyway, I think I'll start some questioning about
this to people I think
should know. If ever I get some
coherent answers, I'll communicate all interested.

Gerardo

Constance Allen wrote:

> Chile Headers,
> There must be a difference between nicotina (I
thought a poisonous
plant) and the tobacco fumigant that
> some of you are using.  I also thought that I had
read about a nicotine
spray that was poisonous  if it
> was still on the leaves or whatever part of the
plant one would eat.
> But,...anything coming up through the root system,
I would think does
not wash off and could be harmful
> if eaten.
> Hey you experts!  I just have written a lot of
beliefs; do you have the
facts to help us out???