[CH] Chimayo chile, african chicken recipe

ralph feldman (ralph@theoryg.chem.pitt.edu)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 18:42:26 -0500

Judy Howle wrote:

> The Chimayo powder I bought is way beyond mild.  If I put over 2 Tbs. in a
> pot of chili my husband and friends couldn't eat it, and complained about
> that. I have to use half mild, half Chimayo.

That's interesting. I wonder if we truly have the same powder. Mine is
only about as hot as hot paprika. In fact I used it as a substitute for
paprika ( about 3 Tbs) in a Hungarian paprika gravy, and no one
complained that I went overboard ( a fairly common complaint, my wife is
only a semi chile-head). I vagely remember Mark Miller talking about
powder vendors controlling the heat of there powder by how much of the
seeds and veins are included in the grind, maybe I got a mild version
chimayo.

On a different, hotter, note; here is one of my favorite chicken
recipes; Yassa chicken, from West Africa ( Senegal I think). Very easy
and very good.

4 Chicken breasts ( with skin and bones )
1 very large medium sweet onion, sliced paper thin
Juice of 2-3 lemons
1 tsp salt
2-4 Tbs of crushed dried chiles, I like to use African devils or pequins
enough large yams to serve 1 yam per person.

1. Combine crushed chile's, lemon juice, onions and salt.

2. Dump mixture on the chicken and marinate, covered, in the fridge,
over night.

3. Pre-heat the oven to ~400.

4. Roast yams, put them in the oven about 70 min before your ready to
eat.

5. After the yams have cooked for about 20 min, take chicken out of the
marinade, removing as much marinade as possible. RESERVE THE MARINADE.
Put marinade in a small pot and bring to a boil on the stove top, reduce
heat and allow it to simmer.

6. Grill the chicken (far from the burner) for about 10 minutes per side
(for large pieces).

7. Place the grilled chicken pieces in a casserole, dump the cooked
marinade over them, and place them in the oven. Bake for another 20 min.
Try to do this about 20 mins before the yams are done.

8. Serve the chicken pieces with a healthy amount of the marinade, and
any pan juices drizzled over the top.

enjoy

Ralph