Re: [CH] pronunciation

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 18:55:29 -0800

Calvin Donaghey wrote:

> Daryl F. Bernard wrote:
> >
> > I don't want to get caught up on semantics or anything, but I would like
> > to know a few things.
> >
> > First regarding pronunciation -
> >
> > I always pronounce habanero with a silent "h", like <ah-ben-arow> whereas
> > a friend says <hab> (as in "have") - either or?
> >
> > How about Scoth Bonnett? I read it as <bone-nay> but I've never actually
> > heard anybody say the word.
> >
> > Finally - please excuse my ingorance - what the hell is a chipolte (or is
> > it chipotle?). I get the impression that it's some kind of smoked
> > jalepeno's or something like that. Am I close?
> >
> >  Since there is no such thing as a stupid question - only stupid people
> > that ask questions - I know these are not stupid questions. Of course,
> > that may mean...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Daryl
>
> Daryl-
>         As I understand it, Habanero is a term used by natives in southern
> Mexico to describe a pepper "From Havana", a reference to the possible
> original source of the familiar orange pods.  As such, the English
> modification will have a hard "H" beginning.  The term has been used
> much more recently to include many more Capsicum Chinense pods with the
> familiar pungency and flavor.
>         Scotch Bonnett is a term for certain Chinense and perhaps other pods
> which have a flattened characteristic shape similar to an Scottish Tam
> or hat typically worn with the kilt, etc.  As such it is normally
> pronounced with a hard T at the end, just like a hat.
>         Chipotle (Chee-pote'-lay) is a wonderful smoked pod- often Jal. with a
> sweet roasted, smokey flavor.
>         There are many more qualified than myself to answer your questions, so
> you may get some different ideas.
>      Calvin
Hi Calvin, I am getting to you from Beautiful Vancouver Island in that
place north of the 49(I think Hawaii is south of us!)and I have been
following all the threads regarding your now famous powder! If you are
still sending samples, and if you wish to send some to Canada, I would
really love to try it out...I have been into chiles since 1946 when I
was first introduced to them in LA by a cousin(who still calls a taco a
Mexican hamburger!) I have been lurking and listening and watching all
the chile heads pass secrets back and forth....I have a couple too which
I will give out! I do enjoy Chee-pote'-lay also, use em all the
time(outta a can! best we can do up here) Anyway, I really enjoy what
all you folks have to say. and I will de-lurk!  Cheers, Doug Irvine