[CH] Re: Hot Kim-chee

Contrast (jhcurry@ibm.net)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 19:59:48 -0800

> Andie Paysinger wrote:
> >
> > A Korean friend came back from visiting her family in her homeland and
> > brought me a stone jar of homemade kim-chee.
> > I have tasted some pretty spicy versions of this cabbage pickle in the
> > past, but nothing to compare with this batch.
> > My friend does not know what kind of chiles her uncle put into the mix,
> > but whatever it is, it is potent.
> > I broke the seal and pulled the lid off and my eye started watering and
> > I even had trouble breathing I felt a burn at the back of my throat and
> > I hadn't even sniffed at it.

 I recently found a Chinese version of Kim-chee that could be a decent
commercial version of the homegrown you described. This stuff was MUCH
hotter than any Korean version I've ever had at a restaurant. It's
packed as Oriental Mascot Brand, and the English labeling says "seasoned
cabbage in chile oil". It's delicious, and the fire is slightly delayed,
so be careful! It's also much cheaper than Kim-chee, about $1.89 per 13
oz. jar in Chinatown.

Joe