[permaculture] Re: [CH] LIVe Wasabi In Berkley???!!

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:35:43 +1100

Does anyone know of an Australian Grower of Wasabi?

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Michael Bailes wrote:
>
> > Subject: [CH] LIVe Wasabi In Berkley???!!
> >
> > This is acopy of a post(S) from my gardening group.
> > Ha s anone seen live Wasabi roots
>
> I've seen whole fresh wasabe root at Monerey Market in Berkeley. Rumor has
> it that someone in the eastern part of the county is farming them on a
> small scale, and there was web address posted to the list a year or so
> ago, but IIRC it was invalid.

This has been a subject of discussion in the alt.food.sushi newsgroup
in the past, and even recently.  I think that there were some producers
in Washington or Oregon, and IIRC, there was a commercial grower in
Australia.  Wasabi is apparently a very hard thing to grow, as it usually
requires running water.

Those interested should go to dejanews and lookup "wasabi" posts in the
alt.food.sushi newsgroup.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas