Re: [CH] Fwd News Article: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 19:22:09 -0500

The Old Bear wrote:

>  + Surrender - If a brown bear actually touches you, fall to the
>   ground and play dead.  Lie flat on your stomach, or curl up in
>   a ball with your hands behind your neck.  Typically a brown
>   bear will break off its attack once it feels the threat has
>   been eliminated.  Remain motionless for as long as possible.
>   If you move, a brown bear may return and renew its attack and
>   you must again play dead.  But if you actually are attacked by a
>   black bear, you should fight back vigorously.
>
> For more information on bears in general, and on Alaska bears in
> particular, see:

Once upon a time when I was assigned to the Air Farce Hospital in Anchorage,
all new arrivals had to sit through "Arctic Orientation".  One topic was how
to deal with the wildlife. The instructor would start with "There's good news
and bad news about Brown Bears.  The good news is that they can't climb
trees..so if you are threatened climb the nearest tree.  The bad news is that
a full grown Brown Bear stands 15 feet tall...and the tallest tree in Alaska
is 12 feet tall.

JB "o"o===="
(who stuck to salmon wrassling)
--