Re: [CH] Chili Storage

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:54:57 -0600

Matt Kraft wrote:

> Question???
>
> How long can fresh chiles be stored in the fridge??? (esp. Habs Serranos and
> Jalapenos)
>
> What can be done to lengthen lifespan? I assume when the get close to death
> I will
> dry them but I don't want to until I have to.

Matt,
   I'm sure you will get a lot of posts on this, but here is what I do.
If I have some special pods I want to save for a while for some
occasion, I either wash them and immediately immerse them in a jar of
honey, or break the stem off and immerse the stem end in melted wax and
refrigerate.  Habs have stayed fresh for 2 months for me in honey, and
since I use honey instead of sugar, I don't mind having a little
Hab-flavored honey around.  Waxing the stem end has kept them for about
a month in the frig, and the wax peels right off when you're ready to
eat them.(Keep 'em dry, though, or they sometimes spoil.)  Good Luck!

Calvin