Re: [CH] taco and burrito filling

Stephen Tanner (SBahrd@a-o.com)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:39:05 -0400

Suzanne wrote:

> Hey y'all.  I remember someone asking about the pork filling for burritos a
> while ago.  I just came across this recipe today in the Immigrant Ancestors
> book by Jeff Smith.  I use alot of his recipes as jumping off points so
> figured I'd share this one with the list.
>
> When using beef this is called "Cuban Ropa Vieja."

"Ropa Vieja", literally transtated "Old Clothes" or , not so literally,
"Rags" is a standard part if the cuisine of all of the Latin American
and Carribean countries that I have been in. There are as many recipes
for it as there are households that make it. It may be made with beef,
pork, and even chicken. The one commonality is that the meat is always
shredded and cooked in some kind of sauce, usually containing tomatoes,
onions, and chiles.

It is generally served as a main dish over rice or plantain, but may be
used as a filling as well. I have used it in tamales, empanadas,
caraminolas, and on top of beans in a burrito. It is also served with
crackers or in a small pastry shells as a canope at parties.

Steve :{)

--
Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry