Re: [CH] Found Habs at a great price, but.....

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 07:24:40 -0600

Ron M wrote:

> I stopped by a store where my wife had bought some habs. She bought them
> for me of course, but it's just not the same as doing it yourself. I
> stopped in about 5 days or so after she did, and a few of the Habs were
> getting spots or were going soft. I looked up the asst. produce man and
> made him an offer of $1.50/lb. for all of them( they were marked at
> 2.99) , but he wouldn't go for it. He did however say that I could have
> a bag full for $1. What a deal! I must have put about 2 1/2 lbs. in
> there.
>  I brought them home and almost all were in good to great shape, so I
> prepared them for the dehydrator. After drying, I got the "great" idea
> of using our little food processor to grind them. It worked great, but a
> fine mist of hab powder was in the kitchen and I sneezed a little and my
> wife and kids were making jokes about toxic fumes. Well, after I
> finished and was cleaning up, my wife came into the kitchen ,and as she
> does sometimes, grabbed a paper towel to blow her nose. A used one! As
> she was putting it to her face, I yelled" DON"T use that!" Too late. She
> goes to the sink to put water in her eye and I told her that'd only make
> it worse. I grabbed the 2% milk( highest fat content milk we have in the
> house )and we ran to the bathroom. I poured the milk across her eye and
> she said that she never would have thought of that, but it did the
> trick.
>  My wife has finally gone to bed,  and says that when the people at work
> ask her what's wrong with her eye, she's going to tell them I did it(
> and possible not mention the powder). Oh well, just goes to show that
> some people need to learn proper reverence for the powers of El Grande!
> I think one person just did.
>
> --
> Ron Marsh
>
> Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), "The Devil's Dictionary", 1911:
>      UNIVERSALIST, n. One who forgoes the advantage of a Hell for
> persons of another faith.

Ron-
  I learned the lesson of pepper eye while doing field work.  I had
carried some dried Chiltepins to put in my food. As I was crushing one
between my fingers to flavor a sandwich, an unexpected gust of wind blew
a chunk right into my eye.  I couldn't get my eye open, let alone get
the chunk out!  My eye was the color of a stop sign for 3 days.  If you
could figure out how to put fine flakes in a protection spray you could
stop anything.
                Calvin