[CH] (no subject)

Bill Williams (biwilliams@InfoAve.Net)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:11:16 -0600

Jim Campbell wrote:

> Paul,
>      I'm certainly no expert on the matter- I can't tell you the proper
> botanical
> difference, but can tell you the physical differences.
>
>  They are
> usually slightly shorter and squatter than a typical habanaero.  While some
> habaneros match this description, it is not 'typical' of them.  The flavor
> is
> also somewhat different to me, greatly different to them.  They accused the
> habanero of having no flavor.  I did not find them to be nearly as hot as
> the habs

I missed the original message that Jim is replying to, but if it's the
old question about the difference between habs and scotch bonnets, I
have a testimony...

Two years ago a listmember sent me some SB seeds from Jamacia.  The
plants eventually grew to seven feet, and from seven plants I harvested
about 2000 SBs!

They all ripened to a bright yellow, were bigger than habs, just as hot
and way more flavorful!  Given a choice between the two, I would always
opt for the scotch bonnet..
Plus they have a great aroma. My freezer, which is full of these thing,
has a peculiar orange smell..

If I'm cooking anything that is broth-like, soups, stews, chili, I just
float a whole SB in it and discard (or eat seperately) at the end of
cooking.. imparts a subtle heat and a wonderful flavor.

Bill