Re: [CH] Habs/Scotch Bonnets

David Smith (david@dwsmith.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:35:40 +0000

I thought I'd come out of hibernation to reply to Paul's question.
Paul wrote :

> Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a Habenero & a Scotch
> Bonnet?

and Jim Campbell gave an excellent reply so all I'll add is that the
flower end is often kind of folded over  (just like the top of a
floppy hat, hence the name)

> The reason I ask, is that living in an area with a large Jamaican &
> Carribean community, the local market has several stalls displaying boxes
> full of similar looking peppers, simply marked "very hot" or "extra hot"
> (which they certainly are!) peppers - no clue as to their identity. They
> range in colour from pale to dark green, red to orange to yellow, & vary
> considerably in size & wrinkly-ness.

I would go for the local market ones any day. I have found that they
invariably have a much better taste and greater heat than the supermarket
ones. The market wouldn't dare upset their regular customers with
wimpish and flavourless chiles. The supermarket ones may look more
perfect but cutting a few bits out of the street market chiles is no
real hardship  escpecially as they are usually much cheaper as well.

I had a moan to the list last year about low-heat habs from the
supermarket and the wise advice I got was that the supermarket chiles
were probably picked for their good looks rather than flavour or heat
and were probably grown in too "soft" conditions i.e watered too much
and never stressed.

Please excuse a bit of off-topic as a p.s. Are there any UK
chile-heads who could (off-list, please) give me any advice on ISP's
and particularly business accounts. I need to move my Web sites from
my personal account at Demon as they have dumped me onto their slow,
slow, grind-to-a-halt server because my sites have exceeded their
bandwidth download limits. Thanks.

cheers,

David

make a reservation at The Curry House