Re: [CH] Naked Seedlings

Console IIcx (tfnews@gate.net)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:43:53 +2709

Ashkenaz, Scott wrote:

> OK, so we've made our little sprouts using paper towels. Now what? The
> yield when putting them in soil (in a warmed mini-hothouse) has been
> quite low. They die.
>
> scott@getting our hopes up

I've found the paper towel method ok for testing germination, but
seperating the seedling from the paper seems to injure many of the small
plants. When I have 'special' seeds that need extra care I plant them in
a small pot of Vermiculite (sterile, expanded mica), this seems to
promote better development. I also make a hollow in the garden and fill
it with Vermiculite when I am planting direct to the garden.

Best of growing,
Bob Cannon
Editor Tropical Fruit News
http://www.gate.net/~tfnews