Re: [CH] Re: Naked seed??

Blue Rider (blurdr@gte.net)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:17:10 -1000

Suz wrote:

> Still experimenting with the seedlings.  Three weeks ago, I planted
> several
> seeds in little pots, a few have come up.  But more seem to be
> sprouting.
> After a week in the damp paper towels and ziplocks, wrapped in a dark
> towel,
> sitting on top of my tv cable box (the only place that's warm in soggy
> So.
> Cal.) a bunch have sprouted tails about an inch or so long.  This
> morning I
> planted those with the longer tails.  Hope I didn't kill the little
> guys.
> Will keep an eye on them and let you know what happens.
>
> The seedlings that did come up in the little pots look healthy at this
>
> point.  I would imagine they'll be ready to go outside in about a
> month, if
> el nino will just go back to where he came from.
>

> >Did either of you guys get a reply off list perhaps? I've just
> planted
> >a number of seeds that had sprouted into a seedling tray with soil
> >this weekend. They are all underground and have not broken the
> surface
> >yet - after your posts I'm a little worried. I would hate to lose my
> >habs - they're EXTREMELY difficult to get hold of in South Africa.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Grant

Y'know, I've alway had the best luck with sprouting seeds the way I
sprout seeds to eat.I just put them in a pint jar after soaking them
overnight, put something like cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar, and
rinse them well 3 or 4 times a day.  Be sure to drain the jar
thoroughly, tho; otherwise the little guys tend to rot.  When the little
cotyledons begin to turn green, put in good indirect light to green them
up good and plant or eat.
I've done this in all kinds of climates all over the country and it has
always worked.  Keeping them warm does help if it's cold.
Don't see why this wouldn't work for pepper seeds, too.  This way the
teeny little root hairs don't grow into a paper towel or sponge.

Aloha
Blue