Re: [CH] Too deep or not too deep

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:48:03 -0600

Robert Farr, Chile Man wrote:

> Nikos:
>
> I can only answer the first of your questions.
>
> Based on my experience, peppers very definitely prefer to be shaded from
> the hot, midday sun.  I discovered this by chance.  Those peppers which,
> for lack of space, I planted in part shade did better.  Much better.
>
> Now, I try to site my peppers so they receive at least a couple hours of
> filtered shade.  Not deep shade, but nicely filtered through the leaves.
>
> I'd love to hear the experience of others with shade/no-shade.
>
> Txs!
>
> Robert.

Robert-
	I have my best luck with chiles in the partial shade of mesquite trees,
especially the Tepins and Ajis.  In Abilene it gets too hot for some
plants in the summer.  I also grow some in a greenhouse (which was
destroyed last weekend).  I have one variety from Hawaii that likes less
light and cooler temperatures.
Calvin