[CH] Serrano Pepper Ale is "Most Unusual" (ADV) (fwd)

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:30:06 -0500 (EST)

I found this article the other day and thought it might be of interest.

I have no connection to the company, and it looks like it will be some
time until I get to try it.

If Maria is still in Colorado, she will probably be happy that they plan
to market it there.  :-)

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: saintcroix@aol.com (SAINTCROIX)
Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
Subject: Serrano Pepper Ale is "Most Unusual" (ADV)
Date: 10 Mar 1998 00:32:41 GMT

An award-winning chile beer from Minnesota? Yeah sure, you betcha!

St. Croix Beer Company's Serrano Pepper Ale has won 1st Place in Chile Pepper
Magazine's 1998 Fiery Food Challenge. The unique ale took home the magazine's
prestigious "Golden Chile" trophy in the international competition's "Most
Unusual" category. The fete drew over 275 entries from around the world.

Ft. Worth, TX-based Chile Pepper Magazine is the hot and spicy food industry's
leading publication.

"We're quite proud of this landmark achievement," says St. Croix Beer Co.
President Karl Bremer, who developed the award-winning recipe. "Clearly, in an
industry saturated with beer awards, being the first beer to ever win in an
international food competition such as the Fiery Food Challenge sets us apart
from the pack a bit."

Bremer credits August Schell Brewing of New Ulm, MN, with successfully taking
his recipe to a commercial level. "My first pilot brew of Serrano Pepper Ale
won a gold medal in Sherlock's Home's Minnesota Brew Fest in 1992," Bremer
notes. "Now, our first commercial batch of the same beer has taken top honors
in a major competition once again. I think that says something about the
quality of our product."

Serrano Pepper Ale is a hoppy pale ale brewed with over a pound of fresh
Mexican serrano chile peppers per barrel added to the brew kettle. The peppers
complement, rather than overwhelm, the delicate beer flavors. The ale is
dry-hopped to further accent the fragrant pepper bouquet. The result is an
amazingly refreshing ale that astounds the senses with a slight tingle of
warmth in the finish.

"Serrano Pepper Ale is nothing like any other pepper beer on the market,"
Bremer adds. "It not only is a terrific beer to drink, it's also a great
addition to many food dishes, from fajitas to omelets. And it's the ultimate
chaser for a Bloody Mary."

Serrano Pepper Ale currently is available in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska.
St. Croix Beer Co. is discussing other distribution opportunities in
California, Colorado and Japan.

For further information, contact St. Croix Beer Co. by phone at 612-436-7610;
by fax at 612-642-1239; by e-mail at saintcroix@aol.com; or point your web
browser to www.pressenter.com/~scbeerco.

------- end of forwarded message -------