Re: [CH] Bits & Bobs

Edmiston (edmiston@wardpress.com)
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 00:02:12 +0000

Randy <rock4u@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>That's interesting about the Chili Hot Pot.  I guess it may depend on
>what type of oil.  And of course over-indulgence in anything might
>affect our health <g>.

My guess is it was the offal. Why do you think it rhymes with awful? Not
to mention deep-frying the sh*t, no wonder the Chinese addicts'
stomaches are upset.

>It's probably been discussed on the list before, but I'd be curious >>to hear of other's experiences with people's reactions upon finding >>out we are ChileHeads.  It may be standard answers but here's a few I >get:
>
>1) Will give you ulcers
>2) Will eat holes in your stomach
>
>If either of these were true I'd be dead by now.

You and all the rest of us. Coming clean, I have to say, that I'm less a
heat-for-heat's-ake bravado person (read a hilarious account of such in
"London Fields" by Martin Amis, mentioned since there was recently a
discussion of chiles in literature and also because it's my fave book
(sorry, I don't do SF)) than I usta be.

I'm over "Waiter, make it
so-hot-it'll-make-me-cry-and-the-rest-of-your-staff-laugh syndrome." My
Scoville tolerance is still way higher than that of the general
population. (Hint: try 2 tbsps of Calvin's in a can of tuna about to be
melted w/Emmenthal...mmmm).

>Plus, someone
>submitted an article explaining that capsicum kills the bacteria that
>forms ulcers.

Now I'm curious abt that. I always knew that, full of Vit C, peppers
were a swell deterrant against viruses, but is this ineffectiveness
against bacteria true?

> 3) Will give you kidney stones

Ouch! Any verification out there?