Re: [CH] Re: Arrrghhh....

David Wright (dtwright@texas.net)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:12:17 -0600 (CST)

At 07:01 AM 3/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, all;
>
>If you're a fellow Midwesterner, my condolences.  It's Tuesday,
>March 3, at 6:45 in the morning.  It's 13 degrees.  ... So,
>it's a normal March >day at my house.  How
>you doin'?

I can remember well those midwestern days (Illinois) that give "March
Madness" a different meaning from basketball. IIRC, St. Patrick's Day was
the day to plant the first row or two of peas, but it sounds as if this
isn't the day.

Here in San Antonio things are a bit different. Bright sunshine today (with
a high expected to be in the upper 70s) after 3-4 days of gentle rain.
Several species of wildflowers already in bloom in the front yard and some
herbs made it through the "winter," the appropriate ones here being Mexican
oregano and epazote. The Big Jims and Serranos are outside but still in
pots for another two weeks, just in case we have a late-season surprise.

Oh, I also remember that it was a good idea to wait till June to plant
tomatoes. Here it's just about too late for the spring garden -- way too
hot in the summer for tomatoes, so there's little "window of opportunity"
for tomatoes and sweet corn at the same time. To me, that was the official
summer meal of the midwest.

David