Re: [CH] Growing from cuttings

Curtis Epps (c.epps1@juno.com)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:06:21 EST

Malcolm, I have been growing from cutting for over 40 years. I have had
cuttings here in florida produce plants that have lasted many years in
our mild weather.  I take the cutting from a side stem that has several
leaves plus new leaves on the tip.  Remove all but the last 2 new leaves
and take your cutting with a razor knife at a 45 degree angle.  Dip cut
end in rooting hormone and use a chop stick to make a hole at least 1
inch deep in your potting medium., and pack medium around stem.  I use
spagnum moss, but the new peat plug pots which come in a seed sprouting
kit (K_MART, garden centers, ETC) which has a clear plastic cover for a
green house thingy works great the pots look like discs which when wet,
expand into a tube and the cutting is inserted as mentioned.  The lid
keeps the pot moist and the humidity high.  when new growth shows, take
the lid off for a few days to harden the plants.  and just plant the pot
in your garden or as I do , in a 5 gallon plastic pail with drainage
holes and several inches of  gravel and fill with soil.  Hope this helps.
Curtis Epps, CC&BW
PURGATORY Brand Pepper Sauce
1998 three time SCOVIE Award winner
Best Habanero Sauce-CAT SCRATCH FEVER
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:37:06 +1100 Malcolm Fear <mfear@hq.switch.net.au>
writes:
>Has anyone had any success growing chiles from cuttings?
>
>Regards
>Malcolm Fear

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]