RE: [CH] Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno cheddar cheese bread?

Michael Schapansky (michael1@bga.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:29:43 -0600

This is one of my favorite recipes for jalapeno cheese bread.  It comes
from one of my favorite books, Paul Pruhommes Louisiana Kitchen.  I first
had these at KPauls in New Orleans and now make them at home all the time.
 I hope you enjoy them.

For 3 loaves or 2 dozen rolls.

8 Cups flour
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
3/4 Cup minced jalapeno-fresh are best if using pickled, rinse well.
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I like a full TBS in mine)
2 Cups warm water (105 - 115)
3 packages dry yeast
2 2/3 TBS pork lard or vegetable oil

Combine flour, cheese, jalapenos, 7 TBS of the sugar and salt.  Mix well.
Combine water, yeast and remaining 1 TBS sugar let sit 10 minutes.
Add lard to liquid to melt.
Add liquid to flour and mix thoroughly.  Knead 15 minutes until smooth and
elastic
Place in large greased bowl and cover to rise.  After an hour punch dough
down.
Divide into 3 loaves or 2 dozen rolls place in loaf pans cover and let rise
till doubled.
Bake at 325 until dark brown and done.  Rotate pans occasionally for
evenness.
Remove bread from pan after 5 minutes or so, try to wait till bread is cool
and enjoy.