Re: [CH] Hot Birdseed

Larry Ford (lkford@airmail.net)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:12:51 -0800

Lindstrom, Rick wrote:

> At 12:57 AM 3/20/98 -1000, you wrote:
> >Suz wrote:
> >
> >> I saw some birdfood that was supposed to be squirrel-free because it
> >> contained peppers.  Said it was 4 times hotter than peppers, wash
> >> hands
> >> after touching, etc., the usual disclaimers.
> >>
> >> My question:  Does this mean that birds have tastebuds and squirrels
> >> do not?

Seems that chickens have tastebubs also.
Last year when only my pepper plants and okra was left I took down the
fence and let my chickens in the garden.  Had 4 plants loaded with
serreano peppers just waiting to get ripe before picking.  Next day not
a pepper one left all 4 plants picked clean.  I thought at the time they
would take on taste and leave them alone,  wrong.  This year the fence
staying up!