Re: [CH] Hottest horseradish

Stephen Tanner (SBahrd@a-o.com)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:34:31 -0400

John Mitchell wrote:

> Anyone out there have the secret for making horseradish that would take
> your breath away??? There has to be a secret to making some horseradish
> that is much hotter than others as I find there is a big difference
> between batches I've tried. It sure would be nice to know how to
> consistently make the equivalent of "hab" horseradish every time!

The secret to hot horseradish is to grow your own and, as Charles said,
fresh grate or grind. If you grow your own, water sparingly in the fall
and dig your horseradish after the first heavy frost. this allows the
sap time to flow back into the roots increasing the heat. After digging
the roots, wash them well, put them in ziplock bags(still wet), and
freeze them. You can remove what you need and grind or grate at any
time. Of course,
if you want hot, you could sprinkle a little of Jim's Red Savina(tm)
Powder on it. ;{)

--
Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry