Re: [CH] (CH):Chile Seeds?

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 07:56:53 -0400

In Chile-Heads Digest, v.4 No.337, LaVerne R. Galbraith wrote:

>Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:46:28 -0000
>From: "LaVerne R. Galbraith" <lgalbraith@sprynet.com>
>Subject: [CH] (CH):Chile Seeds?
>
>Why do almost all of the receipts, that include Chilies, have a
>step that removes the seeds and veins from the inside of the
>Chile?  That is where the real heat comes from.  Just wondering.

Based on my experience (and I expect that other chileheads may
have differeing opinions):

   1.  The seeds and ribs of some chiles tend to
       contain components which sometimes impart bitterness.

   2.  Seeds impose an unwanted texture in many receipes.

   3.  The sensation of 'heat' is only one part of the
       flavor imparted by various chiles: it that were the
       only purpose of cooking with chiles, we could all
       buy 'pure cap' and titrate by drops into our
       recipes thus reducing this mailing list to a discussion
       of how many parts per million, rather than the robust
       and eclectic forum which it is.  :)

Cheers,
The Old Bear