[CH] Half -Shell Recipe

Randy (rock4u@rocketmail.com)
Tue, 5 May 1998 05:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim,

You're right about the close tie on the official Georgia State
Roadkill. However, Armadillos tend to come out on top towards Florida.
 I've never seen them out of the South Georgia region.

Well, I know folks are getting tired of possum so, since you mentioned
"possum on the half-shell" here's a recipe I pulled off of the SOAR
site:

Title: Mu Shu Armadillo
 Categories: Meats
      Yield: 4 servings

      3/4 lb boneless armadillo
           tenderloin, trimmed
           of fat, cut into
           matchstick-size shreds
           about 1 1/2 inches long
  1 1/2 tb vegetable oil
      2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
      4 c  shredded green cabbage
           (1/3 small cabbage)
     10    dried Chinese black
           -mushrooms, soaked in hot
           -water for 20 minutes,
           - drained, stems removed,
            -caps thinly sliced
      8    scallions, green part only
           , cut into 1-inch lengths
    1/2 c  hoisin sauce
      8    Mandarin pancakes or flour
           tortillas, steamed

           Marinade
  2 1/2 tb reduced-sodium soy sauce
  1 1/2 tb rice wine or sake
      1 ts sesame oil

           Minced Seasonings
      6 cl garlic, minced
  1 1/2 tb minced fresh ginger

  Sauce: 3 tablespoons chicken broth 2 tablespoons rice wine or sake 1
  tablespoon soy sauce 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/4
  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  Marinate armadillo: In a medium-sized bowl, combine marinade
  ingredients. Add armadillo and toss lightly to coat. Cover with
  plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

  Mix minced seasonings: In a small bowl, combine garlic and ginger; set
  aside.

  Make sauce: In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and blend
  well; set aside.

  Stir-fry mu shu filling: Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat,
  add 1/2 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and heat until very hot. Add
  the marinated armadillo and stir-fry until the meat is cooked
  through, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  Cook down any remaining juices to a glaze and add to the armadillo.
  Add another 1/2 tablespoon oil to the wok and heat until very hot.
  Add eggs and stir-fry, scrambling them until just dry. Remove and set
  aside.

  Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and heat until very hot, add the
  reserved minced seasoning and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 15
  seconds. Add cabbage and mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 2
  minutes. Pour in the reserved sauce mixture and stir constantly until
  thickened, about 1 minute. Return the armadillo and eggs to the pan
  and toss until heated through. Stir in scallions. Transfer to a
  platter.

  To serve, spread some hoisin sauce over a steamed pancake or tortilla,
  spoon some of the stir-fried mixture on top, roll up and eat.

  Walt

In keeping with the spirit of the list I would think at some point of
the recipe there would be places for creativity in the chili pepper
arena.  Maybe one of the list Chefs (or others) could make a
suggestion for an addition to the marinade. Perhaps some of the famous
pepper powder would make a great addition to the tortilla portion of
the recipe!

Hope you're having a great week!

rr

===
What the superior man seeks is in himself:
what the small man seeks is in others.

*Francois De La Rochefoucauld {1613-1680 French Classical Writer}