Re:RE: [CH] Cuttings from chile plants

Senor Chile Monger (supervisor@scudder.sbceo.k12.ca.us)
Wed, 06 May 1998 07:16:24 -0700

 Robert McWilliams wrote:
>Habs seem to be the pepper of choice among Chile-Heads.  While I'm able to
>tolerate their heat, it's certainly uncomfortable.  Am I just a C-H
wannabe, or
>do habs come in a variety of levels on the Scoville scale?

Robert, I've had Habs that grew adjacent to each other on the same plant
vary widely in pungency.  When you see heat ratings for Habs they generally
run 100,000-300,000 SHU which, when you think about it, is a pretty large
range. Especially when you take into consideration that the range of all
other varietys combined run from 0-99,999 (or thereabouts ;-)).

All talk of heat aside, the different varieties have very distinct,
wonderful flavors.  One of the really good things about developing heat
tolerance is that you'll be able to enjoy more of that truly unique Hab
flavor, or Serrano flavor, or Rocoto flavor, or.........

Enjoy,

Doug

* For the sake of tolerance do we tolerate the intolerable? *