Re: [CH] Re: coffee

Randy (
Tue, 12 May 1998 15:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Melinda,

Here's an informative web page about worms and the soil:

This next one is not a joke and should be a hobby to everyone - worm
calling.  It uses the "worm grunt" which is actually driving a stake
in the ground and stroking it with a slotted stick.  Be the first to
check it out at:

Here is the URL for the worm FAQ with lots of worm links:

I have major wormage in the garden so we'll see how the pepper plants

Hope all this helps.

"I started to notice my earthworm characteristics a long time ago. At
first I attributed them to psychotic human behavior, but now I
understand them to be normal "night crawler" functions."

 - Excerpt from a story by Brian Elroy McKinley

---Melinda Merkel <> wrote:
> At 07:01 AM 5/12/98 PDT, you wrote:
> >If your supply of coffee grounds get out of hands in your garden
you may
> >try your hand at raising earthworms.
> [snip]
> >The grounds would compost quiet well if you may have a space for it.
> OK, now I'm a bit thrown off track. Do you have to compost the grounds
> first, or do you just mix them into the soil as is? Does just mixing
> in attract the earthworms, or do I have to go out and buy a "mama
> earthworm" to get this started?
> Forgive all my questions. I'm sure I'm marking myself as a giant
> But not only is this my first real garden -- I live in the upper
> desert (Phoenix area) which makes gardening and composting a whole
> different animal altogether.
>        Melinda Merkel        |  "The night was _bigger_ than the
day, and
>      |    in its realm, life seemed to have
>  |   possibilities." -- Dean Koontz,

Get your free address at