Re: [CH] Showing My Ignorence?

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Sat, 23 May 1998 10:14:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 May 1998, LaVerne R. Galbraith wrote:

> I hate to show my ignorance, but what are Chipotles and
> Tomatillos?(Spelling)  I have looked in all my cook books and
> garden books with no success.  I have also looked, and asked in
> the local markets.  Thanks in advance for the information.

Whenever I don't know a cooking term or ingredient, I go to the epicurious
dictionary.  It's so good, I put a link to it on my home page, and I
even made a customized (no advertizing) local html search page that I
aliased in my Unix shell account.  Anyone interested in a copy, write me
privately. Anyway, ...

chipotle chile

chipotle chile [chih-POHT-lay] This hot chile is actually a dried,
smoked JALAPEŅO. It has a wrinkled, dark brown skin and a smoky,
sweet, almost chocolaty flavor. Chipotles can be found dried, pickled
and canned in ADOBO SAUCE. Chipotles are generally added to stews and
sauces; the pickled variety are often eaten as appetizers. See also
CHILE.

tomatillo

tomatillo [tohm-ah-TEE-oh] This fruit, which is also called Mexican
green tomato,  belongs to the same nightshade family as the tomato. In
fact, it resembles a small green tomato in size, shape and appearance
except for the fact that it has a thin parchmentlike covering. The
papery husk is a clue to the fact that the tomatillo is also related
to the CAPE GOOSEBERRY. Although tomatillos can ripen to yellow, they
are generally used while still green and quite firm. Their flavor has
hints of lemon, apple and herbs. Tomatillos are available sporadically
year-round in specialty produce stores, Latin American markets and
some supermarkets. Choose firm fruit with dry, tight-fitting husks.
Store in a paper bag in the refrigerator for up to a month. Remove
husk and wash fruit before using. Cooking enhances the tomatillo's
flavor and softens its thick skin. Tomatillos are popular in Mexican
and Southwest cooking for use in a variety of dishes including
GUACAMOLE and many sauces. They can be used raw in salads and SALSAS
for a more acidic taste. Canned tomatillos are available in ethnic
markets. Tomatillos are rich in vitamin A and contain a good amount of
vitamin C. The tomatillo is also called jamberry.

Here's the URL for the EPICURIOUS DICTIONARY.  Bookmark it, it's great!

http://www.epicurious.com/db/dictionary/terms/indexes/dictionary.html

BTW, the various topics on the dictionary pages often provide links to
recipes from Bon Apetite` and Gourmet, so that's another reason to use
it.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas