Re: [CH] Kim Che

Randy (
Sat, 23 May 1998 16:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

Myong's Kim Chee

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: MYONG'S KIM CHEE
 Categories: Korean, Relishes, Vegetables
      Yield: 1 servings
      1    Head bok choi (napa, etc)
           -chopped into 2"x1" pieces
      1    Daikon radishes (or more)
           - sliced thinly
      2    Carrots; shredded
      8    Garlic cloves (or more)
           - thinly sliced
      2    Garlic cloves; crushed
  1 1/2 c  Sea salt
    1/2 c  Flaked dried red peppers*
           - *(crushed) OR MORE
    1/3 c  Fresh ginger root slices*
           - *or more to taste
      1 c  Coarsely chopped scallions
      1    Japanese horseradishes *
           - *or more to taste
      2 c  -water (boiled)
      2 c  Rice vinegar
      3 tb Sesame seeds
  Mix all dry ingredients together. Place in a large
  crockery or glass container that can be sealed
  airtight. Pour liquids over them, vinegar first. If
  the veggies are not covered by the liquid add more
  vinegar...NOT water- Seal jar and place into
  refrigerator for 2-12 weeks. *** NOTE *** The
  refrigeration is necessary to prevent spoilage.

Chili Pickled Cabbage - Kim Chee

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Chili Pickled Cabbage - Kim Chee
 Categories: Korean, Condiments, Hot
      Yield: 1 servings

      2 lb Chinese Cabbage
      1 tb Salt
      2 tb Chopped Green Onion
      2 ts Crushed Garlic
      1 tb Chili Powder
      2 ts Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger
    1/2 c  Light Soy Sauce
    1/2 c  White Vinegar
      2 ts Sugar Or More To Taste
           Sesame Oil

  Chop the cabbage coarsely and place in a glass dish.  Sprinkle with
  the salt and let stand for 3 to 4 hours; the cabbage will wilt.  Mash
  with the fingers until the cabbage is still softer, then drain off
  excess liquid and add the remaining ingredients except the sesame oil.

  Transfer to a large glass jar, seal and leave in a cool place for at
  least 24 hours before using.  It will keep for up to a week in the
  refrigerator. Sprinkle with a few drops of sesame oil before using.

I've heard that traditionally the mixture is buried in the backyard
and allowed to ferment for a few weeks.  Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable than myself can comment!

Check here for most any recipe:

"Yo como las pimientas calientes hasta que lloro!"

---Craig Rubin <> wrote:
> Dear Chile-Heads,
> I am a relatively new member and was wondering if anyone on the list
has made kim che (very hot of course).

(some whacked)

Get your free address at