Re: [CH] Recipe request

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 08:29:45 -0400

In Chile Heads' Digest, v.4 #442, Frank Hashek wrote:

>Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 15:20:21 -0500
>From: "Frank J. Hashek" <pepperking@mindspring.com>
>Subject: [CH] Recipe request
>
>Does anyone have the recipe for Legal Seafood's Fish Chowder?
>If so, would you please post it or e-mail it to me?
>TIA, Frank

Legal Sea Foods is one of Boston't best known and favorite sea
food restaurants with several locations in the area.  (I believe
they may have a location in Washington, DC as well.)  It is run
by the Berkowitz family and derives its name from its humble
beginnings as a neighborhood fish market which gave a long-forgotten
type of trading stamps -- "Legal Stamps" -- as a premium to its
customers.

While not exactly a Chile Head's recipe, this comes from the
Legal Sea Foods Cookbook by George Berkowitz and Jane Doerfer
(Doubleday, 1988) ISBN 0-385-23183-0 :

   Inaugural Fish Chowder
   ----------------------
   We made hundreds of gallos of this chowder for a gala event
   featuring the food of selected restaurants from around the
   country for the 1981 Predidential Inaugural in Washington.
   People say they've never had chowder as flavorful as ours.
   Its unique taste derives from a concentrated Fish Stock made
   from the fish trames remaining from the white-fleshed fish
   we fillet as well as a generous mixture of white-fleshed
   fish such as cod and monkfish.  This chowder recipe is
   delicious, but it will never taste quite the same as Legal's
   because you can't approximate the concentrated fish base at
   home.  The chowder tastes best if you prepare it a few hours
   in advance to allow the flavors to meld.

      1/2 cup    butter
        3 cups   diced onions
      1/4 cup    finely grated carrots
        2 tsp    minced garlic
      1/2 cup    flour
       12 cups   concntrated Fish Stock
        4 pounds chowder fish fillets, such as 2 pounds
                   cod, 1 pound monkfish, and one pound cusk
        2 cups   light cream
      1/2 cup    finely grated Monterey Jack cheese
                 salt
                 freshly grate black pepper

   Heat the butter in a large saucepan until softened, and saute
   the onions, carrots, and garlic in it, stirring frequently,
   about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and slowly stir in the flour.
   Return to the heat, and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
   Meanwhile, begin heating the stock in a large pot.  Whisk the
   stock into the flour mixture.  Bring the stock to a boil,
   whisking constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10
   minutes.

   Add the fish and simmer about 10 minutes longer.  Stir in the
   cream and cheese, and simmer until the cheese melts, about 5
   to 8 minutes.  (You won't distinguish the cheese as such, it
   is incorporated into the chowder.)  Reheat the chowder slowly
   so the cream doesn't boil.

   Makes about 3 quarts.

   Fish Stock
   ----------
   Our fish stock includes a carrot, which adds a mellow flavor.

        6 pounds fish frames,
                   with gills and intestines removed
        1 stalk  celery
        1        carrot, sliced
        2        onions, sliced
        4        peppercorns

   Chop the fish into pieces.  Place the pieces in a large
   enameled or stainless steel casserole along with the celery,
   carrot, onions and peppercorns.  Cover with 3 quarts of
   water.  Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat, and
   simmer for about 30 minutes.

   Strain off the stock and boil it 25 to 30 minutes to
   concentrate the flavor.  If you wish, clarify by pouring
   through coffee filters before storing.

   Measure the stock into 1-cup amounts, and freeze.  (Makes
   about 8 cups.)

Enjoy!

Cheers,
The Old Bear