[CH] Pumpkin seeds

KaiforChi@aol.com
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 02:11:15 EST

--part0_909645076_boundary

Sorry--I managed to non-post my reply:

 Someone asked:

 << I have just carved up 4 pumpkins. I need to know If I should blanch the
  >>seed's before baking them I am going to use some jerk seasonings form
Outer
  >>banks food  as the seasoning. >>

 I've always fried them, so I bet if you just toss them with a tiny bit of oil
 before baking, that will serve the same purpose--i.e., keeping spices to
stick
 (and with less oil). However, I don't see why they would need blanching under
 any circumstances, nor am I sure they would need oil if baked very slowly.
The
 main thing is to have them in a state where they will accept the seasoning;
 that is, moist, and that is why I fry (I sprinkle seasonings after
 cooking)--also, it's quicker. Perhaps you might just want to wash them to
 remove all fibers; drain; sprinkle with spices; and then bake.

 That said, I would LOVE to hear of your results if you blanched or par-boiled
 them first! I can picture them getting quite plump! I think it's worth a try
 :)

 kai >>

--part0_909645076_boundary

<< I have just carved up 4 pumpkins. I need to know If I should blanch the
 >>seed's before baking them I am going to use some jerk seasonings form Outer
 >>banks food  as the seasoning. >>

I've always fried them, so I bet if you just toss them with a tiny bit of oil
before baking, that will serve the same purpose--i.e., keeping spices to stick
(and with less oil). However, I don't see why they would need blanching under
any circumstances, nor am I sure they would need oil if baked very slowly. The
main thing is to have them in a state where they will accept the seasoning;
that is, moist, and that is why I fry (I sprinkle seasonings after
cooking)--also, it's quicker. Perhaps you might just want to wash them to
remove all fibers; drain; sprinkle with spices; and then bake.

That said, I would LOVE to hear of your results if you blanched or par-boiled
them first! I can picture them getting quite plump! I think it's worth a try
:)

kai

The message above was not posted to the Chile-Heads list.  This is likely due
to having the message sent to Owner-Chile-Heads, or Owner-Chile-Heads-Digest.

These two addresses are set up as the Sender for Chile-Heads messages.  This
allows bounced mail to not end up being resent to the list.  Sometimes you can
configure your email software to ignore Sender, and use the Reply-To header,
which should accurately reflect the actual person who sent the message.

If you want this message to be seen by the rest of the list, please resend it
with the appropriate subject to the posting address:

	chile-heads@globalgarden.com

Thanks

Mike