Re: [CH] Indonesian recipe #2

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Sat, 07 Nov 1998 20:34:53 -0800

Sandy Olson wrote:

> The Nasi Biryani recipe sounds wonderful!  Thanks for posting.  Can coconut
> milk be substituted for the coconut cream; isn't coconut cream sweetened?
>
> SandyO
> CH #1146, of the moderate persuasion
Hi Sandy....No, it is not sweetened, coconut cream is the thicker
portion on top of the can of coconut milk, as long as you do NOT shake
it first, and as long as you buy the good stuff...rule of thumb, the
more expensive the coconut milk, the better it is, as it all seems to
come from Thailand. I use a medium priced coconut milk, and if I want
really good stuff, I get a coconut and put the meat in a blender with a
little water, as much as is neccessary to blend it to a thick
consistancy, then strain it and let it stand...the milk on the top is
coconut cream, it will be a lot thicker than the stuff below, just like
olden days un homogenized milk(but you are too young to remember)
but Andie aint!! :-) How is the tofu experiment coming along? Are all
your students now soy heads? Cheers, Doug in BC