Re: [CH] Popcorn Heat

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:35:00 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, james king wrote:

>     I've been lurking around for a while and thought I'd step out of the
> shadows to share one of our dark family secrets:
>
> We love hot peppers on popcorn!
>
> I take a bottle of olive oil and stuff it full of split peppers of choice
> and a crushed garlic clove.  Let it age a while. Gad, this stuff's good.  I
> buy so much popcorn from the Boy Scout troops now they deliver it to me in
> cases.
>
> And olive oil's supposed to be good for you, too.  Perhaps I should bottle
> it and market it to health food stores?

I hope you keep it refrigerated and use it quickly.

Doing what you're doing creates an ideal environment for botulism to grow.

Keeping it refrigerated and not allowing it to stand for many days will
minimize the risk.  It does take several days for botulism to develop, and
that development is retarded by cold.  Commercial packers utilize other
methods to prevent this problem.

It doesn't take much botulism toxin to kill you, less than a millionth of
a gram, IIRC.  Not something to play fast and loose with.  There are
anti-toxins that are available, so I suggest that you look up the
symptoms, just to be safe.

If you make up your stuff for immediate use, within the next day or two,
you should be safe, or if after making it up you froze it, that too would
be safe.

I'm not trying to rain on your idea, but if you're going to do this,
please do it safely.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas