Re: [CH] Peruvian recipe question re huacatay

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:56:12 +1100

At 4:28 PM -0800 12/11/98, Brent Thompson wrote:
>Does anybody on the list have any recipes using huacatay?
>
>For those that don't know, huacatay (Tagetes minuta) is an herb beloved in
>Peru.  The one use I know of (among I have no idea how many others may
>exist) is to puree it into condiments which are eaten with meals, akin to
>Indian chutneys or the blenderized-type Mexican salsas.  I know chiles are
>not necessarily incorporated into those huacatay condiments, and of course
>I know huacatay _is_, but these two clues are insufficient for me to create
>my own successful rendition.
>
> ---   Brent

This is considered a weed in Australia it grows along the roadside in all
warm areas.
grows to about 2-3 M (6-10').
I would love to hear how it is used in cooking  too.
The essential oil from the plant is used in perfumery.

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him
through temporary periods of joy." - W. B. Yeats