[CH] Re: Chile - mostly of topic - sorta'

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:40:34 -0600

Hi C-H's,
Scott wrote back:
>Just so you know, my mother was born on a
>farm near Temuco

We took the train there from Santiago. An experience in itself! So all of
you know, this is in the "Lake District", S. of Santiago, where it is
possible to have a snowball fight on an active volcano, water ski, go trout
fishing, see some spectacular waterfalls and walk through forests of bamboo
and fuscia. (Maybe not all on the same day.)

>I still
>drool over the Congria. Fortunately I've found a restaurant here in Los
>Angeles
>that serves it and other Chilean food although I don't get there nearly often
>enough

Envy - with a big green capital "E", (But not MIME encoded!)

>This
>has led to very European cooking, as I said, especially among the middle and
>upper classes. It's also led to the introduction of many European fruits and
>vegetables to the exclusion of native produce.

Sad isn't it. Perfect name for a country.

> The two significant products are copper and
>nitrates. Believe me, unless you are into things that slither you do not want
>to try the 'real' native cooking in this area other than some of the fish. <g>

Well, reptile stew I missed unfortunately! (There's one for the tourists.)
We were in the company of one of my great friends, an ore exploration
geolgist, and so the Chuquicamata (...is it the biggest man-made hole in
the Earth?) copper pit was one of our stops. We also took the 4-WD truck up
to 19,000' to visit a sulfur mine. In retrospect that was not a very smart
thing to do with a 5yr old boy.

Thanks for the clarifications Scott. What an absolutely stunning country it is.
                     Regards,               Cameron.