Re: [CH] Why not Usenet?

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:38:02 -0500

At 06:07 PM 11/26/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> So, there you have it, everything you wanted to know about mailing lists,
>> but without the knuckle dragging parts (ask someone else to explain that
>> one to you).
>
>Okay, now I have been subscribed to this list for... well, several
>months. Am I entitled to know about the "knuckle dragging", or do I
>have to incubate further?   :)

A year or so ago some of the subject threads headed into some areas of
questionable virtue, with double entendres <SP?> and some heated exchanges
as to the appropriateness of these topics on this board.  Some folks
objected strenuously to any racy postings to the list (utilizing hot and
spicy condiments for other than oral consumption, etc.  Doesn't this seem
quaint in a post Monica L. era?) and referred to those that were parcieved
as encouraging the continuing of said threads as "knuckle dragging no-loads."

Since this labelling included virtually all of the old timers on the list,
that title has become a badge of honor which is proudly proclaimed whenever
it is percieved that the "List Cops" are attempting to dictate the content
of the postings here.  It actually petered out to a fairly friendly
exchange of ideas on the matter and I've not seen a major flame incident on
this list since.

If you don't object to one proud Knuckle-draggers treatise on chiles and
romance, check out:

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/vibe.html

Be aware though, that it was never actually posted to this list and
contains explicit, though humorous chile related sexual references.

Also, to help the initial setting of this story, it may help to know that a
couple years ago folks on the list were asking questions about the most
efficient way to fertilize chile flowers and an electric toothbrush was
suggested.  Well, there is an obvious path as to the type of hand held
mechanical aids that might work best, hence the setting for "Good Vibrations."

=Mark