Re: [CH] Chile Birds and rocoto seeds.

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:11:20 RSA-2

On 30 Nov 98 at 8:35, Cameron Begg wrote:

> >My cardenasii fruit (seeds from Brent T.) are pendant,
>
> I suspect that cultivar did not breed "true".

Note that one of the accessions in USDA comes from Collana where
they are grown semi-cultivated.  Not sure what that means but
suspect the "farmers" just toss a couple of fruit on the ground
and hope they grow.

> On another subject, would any of you S. hemisphere types like rocoto seeds?
> My plant has excelled this year and I have plenty. [Original seeds from
> Lynn Edwards.] I mention this because now would be a good time to start
> plants intended for overwintering indoors and fruiting next summer. Write
> to me directly if interested.

As some one that has tried to get this species to fruit I am
willing to try these seeds.  From three plants last year I had
six fruit.  All not completely formed.  Winters are not the
problem here with only a few nights of light frost.  Summer
temperatures seem to be the problem with highs in the 40+
degrees C.  Now have ten plants but see the same symtoms in the
first to flower this year.  Plant produces flowers.  Petals fall
off and soon thereafter the tiny fruit and stalk drop off.

Noted that Lynne mentioned that this one seemed better behaved
;-)

Address via private email.

In the heat and rain

Peter