[CH] RE: Habaņero or Habanero

Console IIcx (tfnews@gate.net)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:54:30 -0500

On the Habaņero or Habanero issue,

(Caution the n, p and a few other keys are acting up on this keyboard -
ARRRGH!)  :)

To get the ~ over the n we type 'OPTION + n' then n. Don't know if this
works for everyone.

Should we use Habaņero or Habanero? My refrence books seem to favor
Habaņero. As a former long time native of the Miami area I worked with
and knew many Cubans, some of them use Habaņero.

The last thing I would want to start here is a political thread as to
Cuba and Cubans so without the politics - - - Many Hispanic countries
seem to use the ~ liberly, the mother country seems to use the ~
frequently and in many words. Cuba on the other hand is but a small part
of the Hispanic world. While a country has every right to name peppers
(and any thing else) developed by them it seems to go against the grain
to allow them to dictate spelling, usage or grammer. If any country has
these 'rights' it would be either Spain or the most populous Hispanic
country.

The Quebecois in Canada's Provence of Quebec have many 'alternative
spellings and usages' that are eschewed by France and other French
speakers. Here in the south (of the United Stated of America) we have
many linguistic 'alternatives' in use. As a southerner I would not want
to hear someone with a heavy New Jersey accent try "Y'all come back now,
hear?" and I doubt an Englishman would offer to "Carry " me up to the
store in his car. As a southerner I would not seek to impose this on
anyone. (You only get it by birth). (As editor of Tropical Fruit News
magazine I tend to leave regional and national spellings alone - adds
flavour and colour to the article).

I plan to stick to Habaņero.

BTW - A bit on topic. I am still seeking recipes using tropical fruits
to be posted to rarefruit_recipes@egroups.com  - send 'em on.

Best of growing,

Bob Cannon
http://www.gate.net/~tfnews