Re: [CH] My 3 day chili....

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:46:59 -0600

J.J. Sommerville wrote:

>    I have posted the recipe just so you could see where I started from.  I
> also added some left over taco meat, and I used the jalapenos.

What did you use for chili powder? Powdered Habs? In a receipe like this chilli
powder means Gebhardt's or McCormicks or such - a blend of Ancho, NuMex and
other spices. This is not really an incindiary receipe. I dunno whot your heat
tolerance is - or how you got so loaded up. But, this one, if the jalapenos and
the chilli powder were the usual stuff should have been
middle-of-the-roadpepper-wuss chilli.

> Oh, I did have another question.  I don't drink beer (I don't really like
> the taste of it) so when I went to buy beer I didn't know what was a good
> drinking beer, and hence a good cooking one.  Can anyone help?  I used Lone
> Star beer I think.

Unlike wine, which imparts some of its quality to the dish... the only thing
that beer contributes to a dish is a bit of hops flavour. Any full-bodied beer
(not "lite") should work. Or, if you have some hops... skip the beer and add a
hop or two to the pot.  <GGG>

The proper place for beer when cooking chilli is in the cook.

ENJOY!!!