Re: [CH] Taste Buds

Nels Peterson (npkp4jp@polarcomm.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:44:00 -0600

Yeah - chiles don't belong in everything. Can you imagine lutefisk with hab
sauce (hmm - not bad idea!)  We use a lot of peppers, but somethings just
don't taste right with peppers in them.  I have found though that after
eating peppers for a few (the word 'few'translated by my family to mean too
many) years that all of a sudden we become aware of the more subtle ways
peppers flavor food.  In explaining the difference between green jalapenos
and red ripe jalapenos to a friend I used the word sweet. He replied that it
must take a special breed of cat to call a pepper 'sweet'.  Then in
retrospect he added, "But if you have eaten as many peppers as you have, I
suppose that you can taste more than just the fire".  That is what makes the
differecnces betwen pappers so great.  Jalapeno to pequin to habanero to
cayenne to thai dragon.  We love them all, in different recipies for
different reasons.  Gotta go - taking a vacation day to do the Christmas
baking for the family,  besides that am going to make a batch of 'hot' chex
mix for those of us in the family that like spice!

Nels in ND